Gingerbread is often used to translate the French term “Pain d’épices” – literally “spice bread.” Gingerbread was brought to Europe in 992 by the Armenian monk Grégoire de Nicopolis. He left Nicopolis Pompeii, to live in Bondaroy, France where he taught gingerbread baking to French Christians.
Gingerbread baking is often steeped in family holiday tradition, and so if you don’t already have a favorite easy Gingerbread Recipe, I thought I would pass my tried and true bakery version along to you.
This gingerbread is intended for cake rather than cookie form, and works wonderfully in cupcake tins, mini bundt pans, and layer pans with it’s smooth spongy top, moist even texture, and abundant fragrance. It’s delicious straight from the pan while still warm, dusted with a little powdered sugar, and loves to soak up a little fresh whipped cream or light cream cheese frosting. Gingerbread also makes great edible gifts for teachers and hostesses when dressed up in disposable mini loaf pans.
Pain d’epices Gingerbread Recipe
Makes about 20 cupcakes
- Butter – 5 Oz.
- Granulated Sugar -½ Cup
- Brown Sugar – ½ Cup
- Molasses – 1 Cup
- Eggs – 2ea
- Egg Yolk – 2ea
- Flour – 2 ½Cups
- Dutch Cocoa Powder – 2 Tablespoons
- Ground Ginger – 2 ½ Teaspoons
- Cinnamon – 2 Teaspoon
- Allspice – 1 Teaspoon
- Nutmeg – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – ½ Teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 2 Teaspoons
- HOT Milk – 1 Cup
- Cream butter with both sugars until fluffy.
- Mix in molasses, egg and egg yolk.
- Heat milk. Stir baking soda into milk until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed butter and sugar mixture and stir just until well combined.
- Stir in hot milk mixture.
- For cupcakes and mini pans, fill tins/liners almost to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes for cupcakes (longer for larger pans as needed). Cake should spring back when touched and a toothpick should come out clean when placed in the center.
Enjoy some delicious holiday baking and the most wonderful scent your kitchen will ever have!